Tuesday, March 4, 2014

About me

A blog?  Sure, why not.  Welcome to "As I Understand It", where I'll ponder and pontificate on things scientific.  I'll challenge pseudoscience, promote critical thinking and hopefully avoid arrogance and ridicule (of myself and others) while doing so.

For the past ten years or so, I've been living my lottery dream.  In the years after getting my MBA and working as a marketing strategy consultant, I had the dream of winning the lottery and giving up business to become a high school physics teacher. I didn't win the lottery, but got to make the transition all the same, and despite the 3/4 salary cut, it was the best career decision I could have made.  I taught for four years in the suburbs of Denver, Colorado, and for the past seven have been doing so in Williamsburg, Virginia.

I majored in physics at Brandeis University, having always had a knack for math and science. I also was active in theater and spent every summer through high school and college working as a camp counselor.  Teaching high school physics ties these three loves together to some degree as I get to share my love of physics through the occasional "performance" of teaching, while having a positive influence on kids.

I've always been one to ask questions to understand the world around me.  If you've ever been on a group tour where there is someone at the front monopolizing the tour guide's time with question after question, that's me.  I'm THAT guy. It doesn't matter if it is a brewery tour or a Ranger program at the National Park, I can't help it but to ask questions.  Hopefully, through all that questioning, I've learned a thing or two, and I'm always looking to learn more.

So I'll be blogging about things "As I Understand It", and I hope to learn more along the way.

Please be kind.

No comments:

Post a Comment